
I spend a lot of time on this blog making gentle jokes at your Mother's expense. But aside from having a particularly European regard for clothing and an adorable inability to spot dirty English idioms, your Mommy is the most special person in my world (other than you).
It's her birthday tomorrow and I wanted to show you, in all seriousness, why I love your Mother. I am starting with this illustration I did of her instead of a photo because I wanted you to see her the way I do.
Let me tell you what makes your Mom so special:
First - Do you see those eyes? Your Crazy Aunt Jillian calls them "soul eyes." When she looks at you, she actually looks at you. This is uncommon in our society and it's wonderfully disarming. The first time I looked at her (really looked at her), I couldn't stop.
Another reason for her distinct "specialness*" is that she knows you the instant she meets you. For her, it's as easy as looking someone in the eye. She may not always like or choose to acquaint with everyone, but she always knows why she does or doesn't. She is truly a people person in that she knows people and lets them be themselves...whatever they may be.
And lastly, but certainly not leastly** (hahaha), she is special because she is your Mom***. The whole of life is a bit of a lightening strike...miraculously unpredictable and unlikely to ever happen again the same way. That she and I have some together to have you is truly something that is so remarkably infinitesimal in its likelihood that it MUST be special, non?^ I mean...really...a beautiful Dutch graphic designer and Yoga enthusiast^^ finds love with a comic-book geek from the Canadian prairies? TOTALLY special, I would say!
At the end of the day, I don't know if I know a luckier baby than you. Why? Because you are the only one who has your Mom for a Mom. And that, baby, is no joke.
Love,
Dad.
* No. That's not a real word. I have a license for making up my own words. You can apply for one after grade 12.
** Again, not a real word. You gotta get one of these licenses.
*** I'm sure you could have seen that one coming, but that's because when someone writes a blog about ME, the title will be (Scott...predictable except when he's NOT).
^ All of THOSE words are real ones. You can only GET a license to make your own words if you show that you can use all of the ones that already exist. Still worth the time, though.
^^ Proof to my homies in S to the Katchewan that I am, in fact, not gay (though they love to tell me so).

3 comments:
Your dad truly is Superman: the dearest, sweetest and funniest man I've ever met and the two of you are the best Birthday present a girl could ever wish for. I am sooooo lucky,
Your Mommy
I'm sitting here at work, reading this and just a tad misty......never doubt that this is one very lucky baby to have such loving, devoted, and beautiful parents! Love you both so much.
What a lovely, touching and hilarious keepsake for your baby! Happy Birthday Lonnie! So excited for you both and can't wait to read more about your adventures with your little bundle! All the best! Erin.
Post a Comment