Wednesday, January 27, 2010

This is your Grandpa Brian

Tomorrow is Grandpa Brian's birthday. In keeping with the tradition of each member of our family getting an introductory blog entry, I am going to tell you a little bit about this fine man*.

Again, we are lucky that Brian is a part of our family. It's different, though, than how we are lucky that Grandpa Neil is part of our family (see last post). Grandpa Neil and Grandma Kat are my biological parents...they are sort of designed to love us**. Brian, on the other hand, joined our family later and isn't necessarily designed to love us the way my blood relatives are.

We are lucky because he chose to love us.

Now some might say that Brian is a loving man and so his choosing to love isn't that big a deal. He openly finds that some commercials and football games move him to tears***. I say, though, that caring and loving are two different things.

A man might care about his new wife's grown children the same way I might care about your Mother's pet bird: I don't really LIKE him, but it came with the deal, so I might as well get used to it being around!

What's cool about Brian is that he doesn't just "put up" with Shanna and I; we are part of his family! When I drink all of his scotch, he loves to do it with me^. When Auntie Shanna married Uncle Christopher, he was the one who cried^^ while reading the letter from your Great-Grandmother. When my buddies from home call me "gay", he is the one who tells them that I am ..."less gay" than they claim.

When you realize that Brian has chosen to be part of this scotch-mooching, tear-inducing, and questionably-oriented family, you realize that...he should have been more careful because he's STUCK NOW!

We aren't letting him go.

Love,

Dad.



*I know, right? Your Mommy, Grandpa Neil, now Grandpa Brian and next week Grandma Daphne! So many birthdays in a row! Well, one thing you will learn about me quickly is that I am conceited enough to think my very words are good enough to be considered birthday presents! It's also cheaper than buying gifts so we can go VISIT all these cool people!

** The science on this is fuzzy. I am basing this on my experience with really testing my parents' patience and them NOT killing me.

*** Though, in fairness, I think we can all agree that the 2009 Grey Cup is enough to move ANY Saskatchewanian to tears. F*@king "too many men on the f*@king field." F*@k!

^ I'll bring a bottle when I visit. Seriously.

^^ Yeah. He cries a lot. It's cool, though...he drinks scotch.

2 comments:

kattraxx said...

HAHAHA!! Loved it as usual!! He will too!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Baby.. hi from Grandpa Brian. Just want you to know that yes I do get a bit sentimental at times (like when reading Dad's awesome notes to you) and I can hardly wait for the day that I can bring Grandma to see you in person. I'm trying to find you the most awesome present but I think Grandma let the cat out of the bag already. I was shopping on ebay for a Mickey Mouse outfit and just about ended up with the Edmonton Oilers but I'll keep trying. See you soon (oh yeah and Dad better have scotch - so he can love it when I drink his scotch too!!!)

Post a Comment