
That's what people will say to you at this time of the year and, as far as I can tell, being someone's "Valentine" amounts to little else than agreeing to being thus anointed. The holiday is supposed to be an observance of romantic love, but I have always interpreted the day as being an opportunity to show affection and caring to everyone (but don't buy everyone roses...that gets expensive!)
They say that a girl's Daddy is the first man she ever loves and, in the long run, sets the bar for who she may love in the future. Holy pressure, Batman! I guess I have to put down the comic books and take a lap or two around the block without puffing!
Seriously, though, it's a responsibility I take seriously. In fact, one thing people have had a hard time understanding about me is that I show love through responsibility...so it's a particularly big deal in this case!
On this day of love, I want to tell you about the little things that I absolutely adore about being your Dad! You have been here for almost a year now and you have quickly developed a few very clear personality traits that I think are just awesome!
- You already practice selective hearing. Today, while showing off how well you could point out the pictures of your Baby self on the wall, I decided to test you (I'm a real turkey that way). I asked you to point out where my nose was. Instead of trying to locate my nose, you took on a faraway look I have seen more times than you can count (really...right now you can't count!). You were pretending that you couldn't hear me because you didn't know the answer. It was awesome.
- You communicate. I was always afraid that, if I became a Dad, I wouldn't know how to talk with a little person who couldn't speak. You and I do not have that problem. In fact, you have already mastered a form of communication that will take you from now almost until adulthood - When I ask you a question, you just shake your head and sign "No." Also through signing, you can now successfully ask for Milk, to read a Book, that you want to get Up, etc. It is further awesomeness!
- You freak out when I come home. You literally lose your mind when I come home, or are there when you wake up, when I let you play with something of mine, etc. It's hilarious and overwhelming all at the same time. I gave you my phone one the weekend and you kept chanting "Da Da Da" over and over again.
- You are 9 months old and can WALK. Yeah. That's right. You're the bomb.
Mommy and I made you special Valentine's day cookies that you can eat and then we all shared it. Mom has video of it. It concluded the awesomeness of the day!
So, whenever you end up reading this, I just want you to know one thing:
No matter what happens in our lives or how old you get, I will always be your Valentine.
Love, Dad.

1 comments:
Wonderful!!!
Post a Comment