Sunday, March 7, 2010

T-Minus One Month...

Well...the day is almost upon us. It has been a few weeks since I left you a message, so I will try to make it a good one. You are almost here, so I want you to know a bit about what you are putting your mother through right now. She can use it for guilt leverage when you want to go to that party in high school.

First of all: you are BIG. Shanna and I were fairly large babies. I am told that your Uncle Joep had an abnormally large head and had to be encouraged from Nana's womb with suction cups. Size matters in our family and it would appear, at this point, that you are no exception to this rule. What's more is that your mother is intending to bring you forth without a single drop of pain-killing medicine. However, after watching the baby-birthing video I saw this week, I think I'd like to order a batch for myself.

Second: you are WIGGLY. By all signs, it appears that you will be a night-owl (like me!) Around 9-10 PM each night, you start hiccuping and wiggling like mad. Either you are in dire need of a sobering coffee or you are going to be a wild one. If this is any indication of what you will be like on the outside, I solemnly swear to wake you up at 6 o'clock every Saturday morning of your teenage years.

Third: You cheer for CANADA. During the Olympics, while your mother and I were glued to the television, it was clear that you have a preference for the home team. When they sang O Canada you wiggled more; when Sidney scored the winning goal you were nearly born on the spot (though, to be fair, that might have been due to the commotion and carrying-on in the basement). You delighted in the pairs figure skating and, I think, might have had a crush on John Montgomery's rapier wit (stay away...he's a sledder AND an auctioneer!) Don't worry, since your birth year was Canada's coming-out party to the world, we will have lots of 2010 inukshuk stuff for you to play with and wear for years to come.

Fourth: I'm READY. Everyone is asking me if I'm "ready." Am I ready for the big change? The new arrival? The bundle of joy. Well I'll tell you and everyone...I'M READY. No, I haven't read as many books as your Mom. No, I haven't gone to any classes. No, I haven't ever changed a diaper. No, I haven't done this before. But in spite of all of that stuff, I just know. I know I am ready to meet you. I know I am ready to do things, say things, feel things, and be things that I am supposed to. I know.

And I want you to know it too. I'm ready to meet you and I can't wait.

See you soon.

Dad

1 comments:

kattraxx said...

Both yourself and Lonneke are inspirations to ME. We can hardly wait.......so excited for you AND for us.

Post a Comment