Sunday, December 13, 2009

Who are you, anyway?

Hola.

You have been pretty quiet today (so I hear) and not really in need of any advice, so I thought I'd let you know a bit about what I am thinking. See, after we set up fantastic cribs and pop-a-wheelie strollers, there isn't much to do but wait for you to show up and think about...well...you.

Of course you could say that doing all the set up technically counts as "thinking about you" too, but after all the Ikea* furniture is set up, I find myself wondering more philosophical things like "who are you?"

Now, I will be the first to admit that you are a little young for expectations, so don't consider this to be pressure. We will love you completely whether you cure cancer or are just really punctual about "makin' the donuts." So don't think this blog is about wishing you were this profession or that genius.

I just sometimes can't wait to find out what food you will really like or what your favorite color is going to be. I am interested to talk to you about what you thought of some movie or what kind of music you like. Will you like do draw and sing or build stuff with your hands? What kinds of books and activities do you like? I guess what I am saying is that I'm not so worried about what you will become in the world but rather how you will go about becoming what you are**.

By the time you read this, many of my questions will likely be answered. You may even be at a place where you would prefer that I didn't know them or think that I don't care. You may think that I could never hope to understand how complex your thoughts and feelings are right now and you might be right. But I hope that, whenever you do read this, that you know I am interested and would love to try.

Right now, I know what I need to know. You are really tiny and wiggly. You like when we laugh and seem to hate when Mommy sleeps. You are Canadian and Dutch (two of the coolest nationalities, ask anyone). Most importantly, though, you are YOU*** and that's the coolest thing in town!

Love,

Dad.



* Ikea is a monstrous yet affordable housing superstore. It has hip decor that fits almost any budget, but does it in a kinda smug European way. I can only imagine that you are going to love it because you are likely a girl and certainly part European. I just want you to know that I will go if you ask me, but I am going to try to condition you early to think there are monsters there.

** My apologies to Friedrich Nietzsche and The Juliana Hatfield Three for paraphrasing.

*** And by "YOU," I mean a "`Riders Fan" and a "Deadly Black Belt." You know...no pressure.

0 comments:

Post a Comment