Sunday, December 20, 2009

You're a star, baby, a star!

One of the things I can't wait to do with you is look at the stars. When I was little, my Dad (Grandpa Neil) bought me a star chart that let me make sense of all the things that were going on in the heavens. We lived in a pretty small town that didn't have a lot of light pollution so it was easy to go outside on almost any night and see all sorts of wonderful things.

Even now, I look up at the night sky sometimes and wonder what's going on all the way out there. Most of the time I imagine that it's lonely out there...no one to talk to or play with...but sometimes I imagine that there are people looking out at me and wondering the same thing. I wish I could talk to them and see things from their point of view.

I am writing this because I just found a cool tool on Google Earth that lets me look at all the satellite imagery that we currently have of the sky. It's odd because, unlike when you are looking at the globe in Google Earth, looking at the sky is like being INSIDE the globe instead. All the pictures they have of all the billions and billions of stars made me literally sit here with my mouth open.

I can't believe all the billions of things I will never know or see. I love that you and I will get to be together for a little while and see some of those things for the first time together. By the time you can read this, there will likely be something way cooler than Google Earth to play with on your computer, but there won't ever be anything cooler than looking at the sky with your Dad.

Trust me on that.

I love you. Good night.

S

1 comments:

kattraxx said...

Well said! Beautiful!

Post a Comment