Wednesday, December 16, 2009

This is your Grandma Kat

I'd like to introduce you to someone*. This is one of your Grandmothers. Her name is Kathleen, though she tends to go by "Kat."




Today is her birthday (though she will give me a heck of a lickin' if I tell you which one) and I thought it would be a good day to tell you a little about her.

Grandma Kat lives far away, so that means you will most likely get to see her in the summer times when we can go visit for a long time. But I will tell you this: it will always be worth the trip. Why? Well see Grandma Kat is just as excited about you coming as we all are, but she is particularly excited to do one thing: spoil you rotten!

Spoiling can take many forms, but all of them involve letting you do stuff that your own parents won't. This particularly patient form of treason is best perpetrated by grandparents of little girls** who have dads who were bad when they were little. Though Grandma Kat will retrospectively reminisce that I "wasn't that bad," she will do this after several minutes of purposeful forgetting of me filling my hair with an entire container of Vaseline and being so mad at me that she called me an "asshole."***

So, when we go to Saskatchewan to visit, you will be the guest of honor. Candy, ice cream, pony rides****, you NAME it...Grandma Kat and Grandpa Brian will be excited^ to get it for you. And though they will be doing it in love for you, they will also be doing it to really enjoy watching me work just a BIT harder when I have to be the one to let the air out of the balloon and send you to bed.

That having been said, Grandma Kat will be a great Grandma for other reasons. For one thing, she is smart and doesn't give up. I have known her for a lot of years and I have never ceased to be impressed by her ability to stick things out when the going got hard. Another reason is that, if she lets herself, she can forget all that hard stuff and just have fun. The biggest reason that she will be great, though, is because she knows that the most important thing a Mom can do for her children is to be there for them...when they are sick in the hospital, being bullied at school, feeling sad about a loss, or just needing a ride home for a party. My Mom used to tell me that she would never stop being a Mom...and she never has.

And now, she will never stop being your Grandmother.

Lucky kid.

Now brush your teeth and go to bed. You ain't at Grandma's yet.

Love, Dad



* Your other Grandmother, Marjo, had a birthday recently too. She is quite a lovely person too. I don't know her as well as your Mom does, though, so I am going to let your Mom introduce her to you later. It's only fair. :)

** We are, like, 90% sure you are a girl...but I don't want to offend you if we wind up being 100% wrong.

*** To be fair, I can BE an asshole from time to time, so I won't be too surprised when YOU call me that too.

**** I can't back this up. Mom, to the best of my knowledge, owns no ponies.

^ And just to be clear to Grandpa Neil, Grandma Daphne, Big Grandma and Grandpa, Grandpa Stan, and Grandma Marjo - We know you will want to spoil her too. This blog just happens to be about Grandma Kat and Grandpa Brian on G.K.'s birthday.

3 comments:

kattraxx said...

OK............I'm officially misty!!! And where the heck am I going to get a pony??!! Oh wait.....I know a "kid" named Bigney!!!! ;) He's got LOTS of ponies.

Scott Meunier said...

Misty? I was shooting for "sobbing mess." Must do better, I guess.

kattraxx said...

And just so you know...........it was the best birthday present ever!! Thank you.

Post a Comment